Nitrile and neoprene are two rubbers that have similar properties. So, when it comes to looking at rubber washers, it can be hard to determine which washer material is most suitable for your project. At Stephens Gaskets a leading nitrile and neoprene washers supplier, we are here to shed some light on their characteristics. While they share some similarities however, they also have some different characteristics to:
- A similarity between them both is that they are elastic. Therefore, they will both return to original shapes when stretched.
- Nitrile is very resistant to chemicals, abrasion, and temperatures.
- Neoprene is valued more for its weather resistance and durability.
Properties And Benefits
Whilst they may display similar properties, nitrile washers and neoprene washers are different substances. Furthermore, each material has its own unique chemical structure.
Nitrile is made up of acrylonitrile and butadiene polymers. These polymers are chemically treated to enhance branching. The molecular composition of the polymers does not have a particularly fluid structure. So, different fillers can be added to enhance its properties – such as tensile strength and heat resistance.
Neoprene washers are made of a synthetic rubber. This rubber is made up of polymers of chloroprene molecules. The process is called free radical polymerisation and various chemical reactions take place to form the chemical makeup. The polymers are also chemically treated to enhance polymer branching, which then makes the material more flexible
Nitrile Washers Suppliers | Nitrile Properties
Nitrile has a variety of properties that make it ideal for industrial applications such as:
1.Incredibly high chemical resistance. Nitrile washers are highly resistant to oils and solvents such as gask, alkalis, acids, petroleum-based hydraulic fluids, and engine oil. As a result, nitrile washers are particularly useful in applications where the components are going to be frequently exposed to harsh chemicals and fuel.
2. Nitrile has great abrasion resistance which means they do not tear easily. This makes it perfect for components that will be subjected to a great deal of friction – such as washers.
3. Water resistance. Nitrile is very resistant to water-based corrosion, and being exposed to water will not break down the material or cause it to become waterlogged.
Related: Blue Metal Detectable Nitrile Rubber
Neoprene Washers Suppliers | Neoprene Properties
Neoprene also boasts a number of physical properties that make it perfect for industrial applications. For instance:
1. Fantastic weather resistance. Neoprene performs exceptionally when exposed to weather, ozone, UV radiation, and mild acids. As a result, neoprene washers are ideal for outdoor applications.
2. High impact resistance. Neoprene is very durable and impact resistant. Therefore, it a valuable material to choose for gaskets, which are going to be used in heavy duty industrial machinery.
3. Elastomeric properties. Neoprene is highly flexible and always returns easily to its original shape. This resilience makes it perfect for industrial components that require both strength and flexibility.
Rubber Washer Manufacturer | Nitrile & Neoprene Washers Supplier
With both types of rubber washers offering significant properties, it is important to take a look at the materials individual strengths. As a neoprene washers supplier we have listed above some of the differences and similarities between these two materials. Therefore, this can help you work out which type of rubber to go for. However, if you would like to find out more about nitrile and neoprene washers and our manufacturing process, then head to our website today. Or, call 0121 544 5808 to speak to a member of our helpful and friendly team.
If you have found this blog helpful, then you may wish to read our previous blog on Round Shim Washers.