When most people think about washers and gaskets, chances are they think primarily or perhaps even exclusively about the metal variants on the market. Which are of course all well and good, but at the other end of the industry there are also plastic gaskets and plastic washers that offer some serious advantages.
We’re seriously proud of the quality and versatility of the plastic products we offer here at Stephens Gaskets – global leader in industry.
Of course, we know that in many heavy duty instances plastic gaskets and plastic washers are not appropriate, but when it is more a case of the preference of the buyer, there are so many reasons to choose plastic.
Reasons for choosing Plastic Gaskets and Washers
…and here are just a few of them:
– Wear Resistance – incredible as it might sound, there are plenty of times of plastic washers and plastic gaskets that can actually last over ten-times longer than metal when under certain conditions of wear and pressure.
– Lighter Weight – It goes without saying that in most instances plastic washers and plastic gaskets are fundamentally lighter in weight than metal alternatives, helping to keep overall weights as low as possible.
– Low Friction – Most plastic washers and plastic gaskets have a naturally smooth surface that creates significantly less friction than many metal alternatives.
– Corrosion Resistant – When was the last time you saw anything made form plastic suffering from an unfortunate case of rusting? Exactly – plastic is immune to such problems and again represents an advantage.
– Superior Sealing – As plastic can be compressed much more easily than metal, plastic washers and gaskets can create much better seals between irregular shapes and objects.
– Insulation – Plastic does not conduct heat or electricity nearly as well as metal does, which in turn makes it the superior choice where insulation is required.
– Cost Cuts – And finally, almost every plastic washer and gasket type you will come across will be notably cheaper than its metal counterparts.